Charles McCall, ROI, NEAC (1907-1989) was a well known painter mainly in oils of street scenes, interiors with figures, and portraits. He was born in Edinburgh and studied art at Edinburgh College of Art under S J Peploe and D M Sutherland, in Paris at the Academie Colarossi, and widely on the Continent in the late 1930s. He exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy from 1932, at the Royal Academy from 1939, and the New English Art Club from 1938, and also with The London Group, The Leicester Galleries, and many other leading galleries in Britain and abroad. McCall was elected a member of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters (ROI) 1950 and NEAC 1957. A major retrospective show was held at Christie’s in King Street, London SW1 in 1995. His work is represented in a number of public collections, including the Government Art Collection, City of London Corporation, City of Edinburgh Council, Perth & Kinross Council, the Hunterian Art Gallery Glasgow, Maidstone Museum & Art Gallery, Usher Gallery Lincoln, and York Museums Trust. His wife Mitzi McCall wrote a number of books about her husband’s work and their life together. They lived in London for many years.