Born in Liverpool, Grant studied at the Liverpool School of Art and the Académie Julian in Paris before returning to England. He was a member of the Sandon Studios in Liverpool and did some teaching at the Liverpool School of Art. After his marriage in 1913 he moved to London where he became vice-principal of the Central School of Arts and Cras. In 1932 Grant was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers and was a member, and later president, of the Pastel Society. In April 1944, during the Second World War, Grant had a portrait commission approved by the War Artists’ Advisory Committee. His portraits of Alexander Fleming and Lamorna Birch are in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery, London. Throughout his career he exhibited extensively at the Royal Acad emy; Chenil Gallery; the New English Art Club; the Royal Society of Arts. He has has works in the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, and the Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester.